Monday, March 17, 2008

Kaylee's Birthday Party and Baptism

Two Saturday's ago, my best friend LaNae's little girl Kaylee turned 8. They had a cowgirl party at "high noon" at a park next to their house. It was one of the most fun birthday parties I have ever been to. The invitations were so adorable, and looked like denim. Trista couldn't stop talking about the party that whole week leading up to Saturday. I drew a little calender for her with pictures of what we do each day of the week, all leading up to the big day with a birthday cake and balloons in that square. She held on to the calender all week long and colored on it everyday.

All of the kids dressed up in cowgirl attire. Trista wore jeans and boots with a white shirt and red bandanna. I put her hair in two curly pigtails with white bows. T.J. let her wear his Uncle Lane's cowboy hat and she loved it. Whitney wore jeans and a white onesie with a blue bandanna and a white bow in her hair too.


When we pulled up to the park we saw a horse trailer, bales of hay and two brown horses! Trista just loved it. We all ate hamburgers and the kids all got to ride the horses around the park and have their picture taken. LaNae had other games planned, but the kids just wanted to ride the horses the whole time. Kaylee's Grandpa Davis led the horses with around the park in a big circle for hours giving each child rides.



Trista was such a big girl and did so well on the horse. He put her up on top, let me take a picture and they were off. She got to ride for so long and was giggling and smiling the whole time.





Baby Whitney got a turn too!


I was more than a little nervous about this, so it didn't last longer than a few seconds. :)


Trista was the smallest one at the party, and was so cute trying to keep up with the other kids.

If you look closely, she is the little one in the back, wearing Uncle Lane's hat. I think you can click on the photo and it will come up bigger.


Here is the birthday girl with a Doritos smile.

Here is the side kick looking up at her.

And here is T.J. holding Whitney while I took photos of Trista on the horse.

I think that he is holding up the baby camp quite nicely, don't you?

On Saturday, Trista and I went to Kaylee's baptism. (I forgot my camera, so I don't have any photos.) I think that Trista and I were the only people there that weren't family. It was so special, and I am so happy that we were invited to share that day with her. It was a special time for Trista and I to spend together too. I got out my gospel art picture kit and did a little lesson about baptism and confirmation before we left. She sat with me in the chapel and did such a good job being reverent. When it was Kaylee's turn to be baptised and we were walking toward the font, I saw LaNae's mom and dad and one of her aunts in the hallway. They all gave me a hug and her mom and dad said the nicest things. When we sat down it was amazing how the spirit in the room became so strong so fast. I have never cried at a baptism before. Looking at that sweet little girl in her white jumpsuit in the font with her dad, I couldn't help it. I remember going to the hospital to see LaNae and Kaylee the day she was born. I held that little angel then and have loved her ever since. Now LaNae and I both have two little girls, and they are friends.
We went over to LaNae and Jared's house after the baptism with the rest of her family. Kaylee cracked me up. One of her little cousin's was playing with a Sleeping Beauty snow globe that Kaylee got at Disneyland. I told her that I would take it back upstairs to her room for her so that it wouldn't get broken. She was relived and said, "Oh good, because that is really, really, old. I got it in 2004." She would have been four, so I guess that would seem like a long time to an eight year old.
One of LaNae's aunts was so sweet to Trista and was asking her questions and talking to her. I always appreciate it when people listen to the things that she says, instead of ignoring her when she is talking, or talking over her. She asked Trista who was in her family and Trista said, "Jesus and Santa." That sounds about right..... :)
It was a wonderful day and I am so glad that Trista and I got to share it with LaNae's family.

4 comments:

keilah said...

Kids say the cutest things:) I am so glad that we have this blogging thing so we can write them down and remember them. What a fun party!! And there are houses right there close to where the horses were. That is really fun!! I guess I need to be a better mom because I don't have cool parties like that for my kiddos. My Maddie is getting baptised this summer so maybe we will do a big party for her for that:)

Steph said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Hey Valerie and I were going to get together next Monday for lunch and we were wondering if you wanted to meet us since we haven't seen you in so long. If you do send me an email and I will give you my phone number.
stephold1980@hotmail.com

Shannon said...

Trista is so cute. That was some bday party. Why play games when you have a horse to ride, right? Sounds like a fun weekend. I was out of town all last week, and Byron's family is here this week, so would you want to get together next week sometime. Catch up on old times.

Audie and Candice said...

Hi Suzanne,
This is your cousin Candice. I found your blog, and I'm so excited to see your family. I think our kids are about the same age. Your little girls are so cute. Here's my blog if you want to see it mywhipplefamily.blogspot.com.